Welcome!

Are you living in what Marla Scilly, aka The Fly Lady, calls CHAOS? (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome). Well then, join the club there are thousands, perhaps even millions of us!

I have struggled with organization in almost every area of my life for, well, my entire life. By starting this blog I hope to encourage others that they too can get and stay organized!

While it will probably embarrass my children for me to air the dirty laundry here, in full color photos, if it helps just one person along their own journey to getting organized and staying that way, it will have been worth it!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Hard Rock Labor

I have not been doing so much in the house the last few days. I have been concentrating on getting this wall done before I go on vacation, or at least as much as I can.

Besides this time I bought 4 bags of portland cement, not realizing how much farther each bag would go, compared to ready mix. I still have 2 1/3 bags sitting in the car, so trying to get them used up ASAP.

This is about where I left off last night. I have to get the wall built up abound and above the culverts so that flash floods will not wash them out.


And this is where I left off this morning. I got up really early and mixed a batch of cement and laid wall with the thunder grumbling. The storm never materialized, for which I'm thankful. While curing cement should be kept damp, it shouldn't get rained on.

The culverts are about 24 inches across, to give you an idea of size. To protect the crossing I'll have to bring the wall up above it. I might not get that far this week, but whatever I get done will help.

When I come home from vacation the weather should be cooler so I'll be able to get more done. Right now I can only work early in the morning or late in the afternoon.

I rather enjoy playing in cement and building walls. I have been building stone walls since I was about 10 years old, usually without mortar, just to help hold back the dirt in places. I used to just mix cement in a wheelbarrow but for this job borrowed an electric mixer, it's a bit cranky but getting the job done.

Working on this project has renewed my desire for a stone house. I love the looks of solid stone buildings and have been really thinking about how to go about such a project. I'm also researching passive solar design for a house that would heat and cool itself, just think, no utility bills!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment