Welcome!

Are you living in what Marla Scilly, aka The Fly Lady, calls CHAOS? (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome). Well then, join the club there are thousands, perhaps even millions of us!

I have struggled with organization in almost every area of my life for, well, my entire life. By starting this blog I hope to encourage others that they too can get and stay organized!

While it will probably embarrass my children for me to air the dirty laundry here, in full color photos, if it helps just one person along their own journey to getting organized and staying that way, it will have been worth it!

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

5/14/19 and that’s how life goes!

Fixed the gate post
Sooo I have a 100 pound Maremma (an Italian breed of livestock guardian dog) that is terrified of thunder and is getting worse with age. Now when I built this pen the gate latched just fine and I didn't think about bracing it. I also had no clue that in less than 6 months the chickens would manage to scratch down over two feet of dirt and rocks, causing the fence to bulge out and the Tpost to move sideways. So there was a gap, which I plugged temporarily with plastic box lid to help keep the chickens from slipping out. And my dog Giotto has been living here since December just fine. Well the other day there was a sudden small storm that came through with some pretty close lightening strikes. Now just before the rain started I was unloading the car and left the back open. When the rain let up I went out to close it and there was Giotto hiding in the car. He refused to come out and spent the night in the car. The next day I fixed the gate. Put Giotto back in and in about 10 minutes he was gone. I think he got out somewhere else this time because that gate was really tight.
Giotto hiding from thunder

So I put him in the big chicken house, well constructed, with some solid wood walls and some that are solid on the bottom 3-4 feet with fencing from there up. Just at dark another thunderstorm came through and an extremely close lightening strike followed with very loud thunder. In about 90 seconds Giotto was at my front door. He had managed to unlatch the pop door and squeeze his 102 pound self through a 12x12 inch opening. So he spent the night hiding in my bedroom.

loose fence
I went up on my hill and tightened up fence, staking down the bottom and such trying to eliminate any places he could get out.
front door jamb
But I wasn't finished, so I locked him in a 10x10 chainlink kennel. I came home to my front door open and he was hiding in the bedroom. There had been a tiny black cloud go over with some thunder. So he's spending the night in the house again. Apparently he hit the kennel gate hard enough to twist the whole latch assembly about 90 degrees from where it's supposed to be. The door jamb really isn't too much worse for wear, needs replaced anyway. So aside from basic chicken chores I have not accomplished much of anything for several days now. Tomorrow will be spent on working on the fence of the pen where he's supposed to be, after I fix the latch on the kennel and put him in. I will add a chain for security.

Hopefully I am not derailed too long....

No comments:

Post a Comment