Welcome!

Are you living in what Marla Scilly, aka The Fly Lady, calls CHAOS? (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome). Well then, join the club there are thousands, perhaps even millions of us!

I have struggled with organization in almost every area of my life for, well, my entire life. By starting this blog I hope to encourage others that they too can get and stay organized!

While it will probably embarrass my children for me to air the dirty laundry here, in full color photos, if it helps just one person along their own journey to getting organized and staying that way, it will have been worth it!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Declutter the Pantry!

pantry cupboard before
When was the last time you cleaned out your pantry? If you are like me you really don't have an honest to goodness pantry like our great grand mothers did (and more's the pity). No we have to cram our canned and packaged foods into whatever cupboard we can.

At least mine has stair step shelves so you can see most of what's in there. These were built by my granddad in the '40s or '50s when he and my granny lived in this house and remodeled the kitchen.

Poor things all of my cupboards have been badly abused over the years, with renters ripping off doors and bashing things up. And I haven't gotten around to fixing most of this stuff since I moved in. There's enough termite damage to know that I need a whole new kitchen.

Back to the point. You have to keep rotating your stock. You have to check the cupboards once in awhile and look at the expiration and 'sell by' dates on things. Otherwise you are going to lose money having to throw some of those things away.

There were several cans of food hiding in the dark recesses of this cabinet that I tossed; they were one and two years past their expiration dates. If they are only a couple of months past I'll put them to the front and use them right up, but too long over and they just don't have a good texture and taste. They won't kill you if you eat them, but they won't taste that good.

pantry cupboard after 15 minutes
So in just 15 minutes I got all of the left hand shelves emptied and wiped down and a bit done on the right hand side. Tossed a number of cans of food, one expired in November 2008.....

What I wouldn't give for an old fashioned honest to goodness pantry. And while I'm daydreaming I'll take a root cellar attached to it, so I can have cool damp vegetable storage as well as cool dry canned good storage.




If you just need a few more shelves in your kitchen you might want to look at these rolling pantries and see if they will work for you.
      Or maybe one of these organizers will help you get the most out of your space.

No comments:

Post a Comment