Welcome!

Are you living in what Marla Scilly, aka The Fly Lady, calls CHAOS? (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome). Well then, join the club there are thousands, perhaps even millions of us!

I have struggled with organization in almost every area of my life for, well, my entire life. By starting this blog I hope to encourage others that they too can get and stay organized!

While it will probably embarrass my children for me to air the dirty laundry here, in full color photos, if it helps just one person along their own journey to getting organized and staying that way, it will have been worth it!

Friday, July 22, 2011

Decluttering in the Kitchen, part II

Today I'm back in the kitchen, have to leave for work soon, so I really only had 15 minutes. If you are just joining me, you can see the kitchen 'before' pictures on this post from a couple of days ago.

I was able to sort through and move a few things around on the floor and sweep up the dirt in the area.
I also managed to clean off the table, except for one thing, an old drawer from a cabinet I ripped out. It was my 'junk' drawer and it's still full of junk! So it will probably need a 15 minute session all to itself.
The reason I want to keep the drawer itself, though is because my grand dad made the cabinet it was in and while the cabinet was in bad shape, the drawer is still pretty sound. So I'm thinking of hanging it on a wall someplace as a little display shelf.

 I will probably not tackle what's in the 'junk' drawer anytime soon. Right now my game plan is to work on the quick and easy stuff, so I get the most bang for my buck.

The large piles of stuff, things I can get rid of or move to another area, thus clearing large amounts of space in a short period of time. That does mean that I am just stashing things in other places; like tools & hardware are just getting dumped on the back porch and anything craft or art related is just getting dumped in the studio. But that is actually part of my master plan.

My goal is to get my main living spaces fairly free of clutter before tackling the really tedious stuff, like sorting through and organizing hundreds of assorted bits of screws, nuts, bolts, washers and miscellaneous hardware. Or organizing hundreds of containers of different kinds of paint, along with all sorts of paper, new and used.

The point is, don't get bogged down in the little details in the beginning. Make as much of a clean sweep as you can at first. It will improve your morale and your accomplishment will give you the energy to carry you through the tedious bits later.

No comments:

Post a Comment